Moscow Kremlin is one of the most beautiful architectural ensemble in the world. Its white stone cathedrals and palaces front doors of different eras represent a unique architectural and artistic ensemble, in which the links of time, the breathing history, the past and the present of Russia is reflected.
Let’s start our tour of the Kremlin with the largest area, the Cathedral Square. The Cathedral square of the Kremlin is one of the oldest in Moscow (15th century), and was the main square of the Kremlin. In old days, there were celebrations, on special occasions, royal wedding and funeral processions, coronation of emperors. Foreign ambassadors were welcome in front of the Palace of Facets.
The Cathedral of the Assumption, the Cathedral of the Annunciation, the Cathedral of the Archangel, Ivan the Great Bell Tower and the Palace of Facets rise on the square.
The Archangel Cathedral was built in the XVI century. It was the burial place of the Moscow Princes and Tsars. This tradition continued until the end of XVII century. In the old days there was a custom before the campaigns and after successful battles: Muscovite princes came to the cemetery, and worshiped the ashes of their ancestors.
In the southwestern part of the cathedral square rises the nine-golden domes of the elegant Cathedral of the Annunciation. The cathedral, was built between 1484-1489 by Pskov craftsmen’s as the house-fortress of the great prince of Moscow, where wedding ceremonies and christening of children took place. The Cathedral was built in the tradition of Moscow old style architecture.
The Cathedral of the Assumption was erected between 1475-1479 on the model of the Assumption Cathedral of the XII century in the ancient Russian city of Vladimir. For four centuries the Assumption Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin remained the main church of Russia, where heirs of the throne were crowned, state acts were disclosed, metropolitans and patriarchs were elected. The cathedral was the burial place of the Moscow patriarchs and metropolitans.
In the centre of the Kremlin, on the Cathedral Square stands one of the most remarkable buildings of the XVI century – Ivan the Great Bell Tower. It unites all the ancient churches of the Kremlin in a majestic architectural. The bell tower is a miracle of architectural art of the XVI century. The tower is 81 meters high and has 329 steps to go up to its top. 21 bells have been displayed in the galleries going around the top of the tower. The biggest of them, Assumption, weighs 70 tons.
On the Cathedral Square you can see also the one-dome церковь Ризположенияchurch of the Deposition of the Robe. It was built in 1484-1486 by Pskov craftsmen’s. The church of the Deposition of the Robe was built in the Moscow old style architecture.
Read now the second part of our article.